Shoes are the most neglected of all accessories we use, while they are the ones we must give maximum attention to. Taking care of leather shoes is a habit we must all develop, not just to make them look bright, but also to keep their condition intact. It does not matter much whether your leather shoes are a designer product or did not cost you a bomb, it is anyway important to take basic care of them:
- It is a good idea to apply a coat of leather conditioner on your shoes when they begin to look a little dry. Application of leather care products regularly will not only boost the shine of your shoes but will also add to its life span.
- It is important to apply proper shoe care products in order to highlight the richness of leather and provide depth to the colour of leather.
- Correct leather shoe care can prevent your favourite pair from drying out and developing cracks, which spells a doom for the life of the shoes.
- Following a regular regimen of cleaning, conditioning, polishing and weatherproofing help in the protection of leather shoes and keep them usable for years together.
- Do not let dirt and debris settle on your shoes for a long time. Brush it off with a soft cloth each time after wearing them. This will help in maintaining their health.
- Be careful not to get leather shoes wet. Use shoe care supplies easily available in stores to remove grime from leather shoes.
- Polish your shoes whenever dust gathers on them. The advisable way to polish leather shoes is by using cream polish. Use a clean and soft cloth to apply the polish, and finally use another clean cloth to wipe it off.
- Do not use saddle soap to clean your leather shoes. It requires rinsing thereby increasing chances of development of cracks.
- Remember never to put your leather shoes out in the sun to dry. Direct exposure to sunlight will turn them pale and discoloured. Another guaranteed way of avoiding cracks is by not placing leather shoes next to fire or heater to dry.